Saturday 16 April 2011

3A My Current Networks and the Range and Value of them

What networking means to me and why it’s important.
Networking is process by which information, ideas and resources are shared; this can be on request but it is most often given spontaneously with are work place. Networking is important to me and my professional practise because it helps my organisations develop provision for children partnership, helps to prevent duplication of services and raises awareness of mine and my organisations services. I find that networking professionally helps provide support to one another and we can then promote and run joint training to progress in our profession.

Professional Network (In-house)
·         The boss’s of the companies I work for
·         The Managers/ Line managers
·         Higher qualified practitioners
·         Other work colleagues
My manager’s constantly use email to connect with their staff, these emails normally contain any important information, time sheets, important dates such as up and coming training or staff meetings and one of my places of work now even email wage slips which I find quite annoying.


Professional Network (outside of work)
·         The local authority and local councils (social services, NSPCC etc).
·         Children Centres and extended services.
·         Local schools.
·         The voluntary and community sector.
·         Training Providers.
It’s not normally me who connects with these services/ networks directly unless and they call or come into my work place but my organisations work closely with these networks help us protect and safeguard the Children and YP we work. These networks often distribute leaflets for us to give to the families we work closely with and posters for us to put up around the premises. We normal only connect with some these services such as the local authority, if there is a safe guarding issue to any of our children or YP we work with or it we want to raise awareness to our children and YP about health, safety or citizenship etc then some of these services come in to do talk to our Children and YP. I would say for me personally that training providers are the most important network here for me to become a better practitioner but on the other hand the other networks are there to support me in being a good practitioner and are there if I have any doubts about any of my colleague’s practises.  

Personal/Social Networks
·         Family
·         Close Friends
·         Associates I know through the gym
·         People I meet through training events
·         BAPP associates
 I think these networks are the ones I take for advantage in the sense I often forget that they can also be of help to me to develop as a practitioner. Technology and the World Wide Web is now becoming the most important tool with participating and connecting with most of my current networks and also discovering new networks.
Some of the tools I currently use to partake in my Profession, Social and Personal networks on a regular basis are;
·         Web 2.0 (Blog, Goggle reader)
·         Facebook
·         Email, Fax and Scan
·         My BlackBerry handset (BlackBerry messenger)
I also put some time aside to send letters rather than emails and try to use other tools to network which are not technology based but I do know in today’s society  I need to be technology alliterate to be able to keep up the evolving world wide web and its tools otherwise I’ll be left behind!

A worthy and valuable network for me is one that is trustworthy, reliable and in an ideal world something I can contact and connect with 24/7 hours a day! The best networks for me are those that positively promote and support me professionally and one in which I can give to and gain from. Since starting the BAPP course I can now see that networking is such a huge and important part of my profession life, especially if I’d like to become a better practitioner and by using these networks to help develop on my career. Networking is something that I will have to research and develop a better understanding of to widen my current knowledge.  

No comments: