Sunday 24 April 2011

3C Sources of Information

Like Nicole Carmen (Sources of Information, 04/2011) I also struggled to identify my current five most important sources of information and working out their importance to me and my practise. To get my head around this task I made a few notes on all the sources/networks that I find important and valuable to me, I then worked out which sources I had used and gained from in my professional life most recently which to me was important to consider as this task was to identify my current sources. This sources I use now may not be relevant in progressing as a practitioner in three years time but for the next three months I plan to continue to use these sources so long as they continue to allow me to progress. My goals and ambitions have changed dramatically in the last ten months so obviously the networks I know use for professional use have changed slightly within that time.

What I think my current five most important sources of information are;

• Internet
• Email
• Phone
• Library
• Talking to people

While working full time some days in three different locations, it is hard to find the time to blog as all I want to do when I get home is eat and sleep and even through in most of my locations of work I have access to the internet, trying to get a minute to use it is nearly impossible. When I do use the web I often feel overwhelmed by the amount of information that is accessible to one subject alone and establishing what is factual and opinion based is often something I don’t have the time to do. But since starting the BAPP course and using the Blog whenever I can has help me learn how to use new web tools and has encouraged me to actively get support by reading and commenting other peoples blog’s on the course who are currently in the same situation as me and also lecturer’s blog’s to get even more advice from.

Like Daisuke (3C sources of information, 04/2011) mentions on his blog ‘The internet is undoubtedly, unbeatably the easiest and the most convenient network to access. And is also the best source for information of this century’ I agree with this totally as I use the internet in my profession life for almost everything;

• Blogging- reading others blogs (web based tools)
• Researching- gaining facts and absolving other opinions
• Connecting with people- through social networks
• Job searching- possible career routes and new jobs

I cannot go a few hours without checking and managing my emails, maybe this habit has something to do with the fact my mail comes straight through to my mobile phone which is accessible to me throughout most of my working day. With having emails coming straight to my mobile phone I wouldn’t be unable to connect with people instantly unlike sending a letter and this then is a chance for me to communicate with people professionally and socially.
Email is an excellent way for me and my colleagues to communicate, we can updated each other on meeting schedules and minutes on meetings missed, I can also receive up and coming training events through email from my line mangers and one of my places of work now send my pay slips through email which is very convenient for me as I am always on the go.

As I mentioned previously my emails go straight to my mobile phone and when out having my mobile phone with me throughout the day I would be totally lost. Because I am constantly on the move my mobile phone is a quick and easy way to communicate when getting back to someone about something important or calling my place of work to let them know I am running late etc.
My mobile phone also allows me to instantly write up any important notes that I may take throughout my working day in a place in my mobile called memo pad, which I then later am able to re-write in detail to my private journal which is key for me in improving my practise at work (this is much easier that taking out a pen and paper from your pocket) Phones obviously are able to store a lot of important information such as contacts, important dates and media such as photos, videos and voice note of my professional work.

My local Library is a brilliant place for me to get away and to focus on any important work I need to be getting on with, it’s quiet, clutter free and holds stacks of relevant information connected to my profession work. Libraries have books; magazines, DVDs, newspapers, computers and fast internet connections for me to take best advantage of to help me improve professionally and with all these recourses being free this is an even greater bonus for using a library.

Word of mouth is a source of information that everyone uses professionally and socially, I would say this is one of the more important sources of information for me, it keeps me sane and down to earth and without having great verbal communication skills how am I able to have a good interview, be confident enough to talk to whoever I come across professionally and how would people be able to look in my eye and have confidence in me to take care of, teach and look after their children?


References used


http://momngaxxx1.blogspot.com/2011/03/3a-source-of-information.html

1 comment:

Daisuke said...

Local library!I did not think of that. That could a great source of information especially combined with web, i,e, to check which books are suitable for the informations we are looking for, then search at local library, also talk to librarian to what is the best books for the right information and maybe they can recommend some thing even better! Local library can provide mix of people and books informations!
Thank you for sharing Tanisha! I shall run to my local library now!