Friday 7 October 2011

I think it is beneficial to ask myself and the colleagues I work with questions about the work that we do surrounding young people. For example:

Why do we carry out such work?

How is the work that we do beneficial to all the community but especially to young people?


The responses from the questions give me positive and inspirational reasons to continue working as a youth worker.

I found it very interesting hearing the responses from practitioners in the field of youth work whilst asking them questions about the work that we do. Although I heard similar opinions to my own there were also a lot of differing opinions. This is great as it makes our work even more diverse and versatile. Having such discussions also makes me think about where I get my own beliefs and values from and questioning the environment that I work in helps me to reflect on my own practise and that of others. 



Here are the links to our Facebook pages that our Young people can access;
By going onto our Facebook pages the local community are able to see any up and coming local events, what activities we will being providing, where we will be based and a few pictures of some of our best sessions. 

2 comments:

Alan/MDX said...

Your Bllog prompts me to ask 'what perpsnal connections do you have to the issues'? I aks this beucase your qustions appear to ber fll of pathos - working at a philisophical level, yet there is also a feeling of separation from this isues?

I'd be intested to know what it is about the questions that really resonate with you? Why is this important to you?

Tanisha said...

Hi Alan,

I do not have any direct personal connections with the issues I raised in my inquiry questions, only that of I not so long ago was classed as a “Young Person” myself, so this makes me feel even more passionate about the work we do surrounding young people.
With the youth unemployment at it’s highest since 1994 and more than one in five young people without a job, I feel young people are so very easily targeted in the media for any wrong doings and for this reason it seems like society as a whole do not have anything positive to say about the youth of today.
I think with the type of media attention that young people are given and with most of it being negative, some young people are left with the feeling of undervalued, without a voice and no real sense of being part of something i.e. the community.
The projects and activities that we run in the community are very important to me as most young people that walk through our doors are left feeling that they are part of something plus they are able to take ownership of the spaces/venues we use.
With our motto being SPACE, standing for supportive, positive and caring environment, young people are able to come and go as they please allowing them to feel like responsible young adults. Helping young people with C.Vs, job applications, their school/college homework and taking them on culture trips and residentials are just some of the things with do with them and I think by doing such community work makes a difference in the way some young people behaviour and carry themselves later on in life.

Tanisha.