Friday 30 September 2011

Task 4A (part 1)

Here are a set of questions that I would like to put out to you all that relate to my practise.
1)      How do activity programmes like those my organisation run (www.riversidecentre.org) prevent Young people from being on the streets and committing petty crimes in the community?

2)      Later on in life what positive outcomes might the Young people have who have attended sessions like ours on a regular basis?

3)      Should all youth workers in my organisation be at least NVQ level 3 trained?

4)      Would more summer schemes/ youth programmes have prevented young people from getting involved with this summer’s London Riots?(http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/aug/30/national-citizen-service-prevent-rioting#start-of-comments)

2 comments:

Stephanie Thomas said...

Hi Tanisha
I think there is some really interesting potential in the questions you have come up with - I particularly liked question 1 about how projects like yours can help keep young people keep off the streets and avoid getting involved in crime. I think exploring the riots this summer would be a very topical and current 'lense' through which to investigate the wider issue - I wondered if question 4 could be incorporated into question 1? I imagine you may find that once you start investigating the riots specifically, you will naturally want to broaden your inquiry to include other instances of crime and social problems.
What do you think? I will be interested to hear what feedback you get from other practitioners in your field. I took some of my questions to another actor this week and I found it so useful. It really sparked of some new ideas...
Steph

Tanisha said...

Hi Stephanie,

It seems like it’s been a long while since we last spoke! Thank you for your interest towards my initial set of questions, I knew asking such questions about the projects we run for young people, crime interventions and the recent London riots would cause controversy and open new interesting discussions.

Exploring the underlining issues and struggles in a wider context that young people may come across in today’s society is something that most people are interested in understanding more about.

This summer it was so easy for society to point the blame and cause of the London Riots towards young people (12-19year olds) and for people to say there are not enough youth projects out there to engage the Young people in. When in actually fact there were things out there for young people i.e. summer programmes and I should know as I myself was a part of the planning process for our programme in July/Aug 2011.
Soon Stephanie, I will post the feedback I got from my colleagues at work, so do keep an eye out! Tanisha

(i did try to reply over a week ago but been having problems with posting and commenting)