Friday 6 January 2012

Critical Refection and Summary: Digital Portfolio

This module has felt a lot like a bridge, one in which is a stepping stone to the final module. Through undertaking tasks within three main themes I feel this module has increased my knowledge in several areas. (First initial thoughts- Appendix A)
Part 4- Developing Lines of Professional Inquiry

The development of my professional questions came from areas within my place of work that I thought at that time were currently issues. (Appendix B)

Questioning my professional environment has already enabled me to begin to analyse my own practise and that of others. (Appendix C)

The more I observe and question what is happening around me the more open I become to developing new positive ideas as a youth work practitioner.

Being able to reflect on what takes place within my organisation and the outcomes of our youth work sessions has permitted me to learn from past experiences in order to improve my own practise which was a significant learning curve for me.

Part 5- Professional Ethics

At first I found ethics challenging but thankfully the penny has finally dropped for me and I now understand the importance of not harming individuals through my actions. Ethical principals only recently sank in due to a phone conversation with my academic advisor who seemed to break ethics down in simple terms for me.  

I have since learnt that Ethical principles are very important in my place of work due to the fact we work with those under 18, have members who have Special Educational needs and some of our members may be vulnerable etc.

Tasks set out in part 5 made me further analyse the code of conducts within my organisation that I must adhere by. (Appendix D )

I have found ethics as a grey area and I can now distinguish cultural problems, habits and laziness within my profession. I have learnt that morals, ethics, religion, personal belief and law are closely related and that these can often conflict with an organisations policies and procedures.  

Part 6- Tools of Professional Inquiry

In the beginning of part 6 Trailing out different tools for my inquiry often proved difficult, staff were unavailable and young people had no interest in taking part. Towards the end of term numbers at our youth club dropped dramatically. Whilst trying out surveys, most young people would take several days or even weeks to hand it back so I soon realised that interviews were more appropriate.  I have devised a parent consent form for those participants of my inquiry who are under the age of 18. (Appendix E)

Tasks within part 6 have enabled me to create and conduct pilot interviews. (An interview aimed at young people- Appendix F and aimed at colleagues- Appendix F)

Using specific tools to access data needed for my investigation has allowed me to evaluate my own practise, what is happening at our sessions but also what issues surround the behaviourisms of young people.

No comments: